New students.jpg 

Welcome, New Students! 

    We are so glad you are about to become a Smoky Mountain Mustang! We take great pride in that distinction and hope you will, too. We think you’ll find Smoky Mountain High School to be an exciting and friendly learning environment. Please look at the Academics page of this site for information about classes and grading. This “New Students” page will tell you all about how to enroll at Smoky Mountain High School.

    If you are a rising freshman currently enrolled in a middle school in any Jackson County public school (Blue Ridge, Cullowhee Valley, Fairview, School of Alternatives, Scotts Creek, Smokey Mountain) you should have already gone through the enrollment procedures outlined below unless you joined the school late in the school year.


Before You Enroll…

·    Please make sure you have:

            ü  Proof of residence (utility bill, driver's license, etc.)

            ü Current immunization record

ü Current report card or transcript from previous school

ü Special needs documents if applicable (IEP, for example)

ü Legal guardianship papers if applicable

ü Birth certificate

ü Social Security card

ü Phone or FAX number for previous school

ü Valid photo ID for parent or guardian

·    HOME SCHOOLERS: Please bring as many records as possible.

·    TRANSFER STUDENTS: It is very helpful if you can bring a registration guide or course catalog from your previous school to help us determine which courses most closely match the ones you have been taking.


Where To Go…

·    Come to the Guidance Office located directly ahead in the lobby of the school’s main entrance (located at 100 Smoky Mountain Dr., Sylva, North Carolina 28779).

·    Parent or guardian: You must be with your enrolling student, even if the student is 18. If the student is 18, you will be directed to meet with an administrator before proceeding with the enrollment process.


Once You Arrive…

At the Guidance Office, you will be given an enrollment packet containing forms that must be filled out before enrollment can take place. These forms include:

üDemographic Form

üHome Language Survey

üIndian Education Form, if applicable

üFood Program Form

üRegistration Form

üStudent Checkout/Health Information Form


SPECIAL NOTE: You are welcome to pick this packet up ahead of time to fill out at your leisure if you would prefer. The Parent/Guardian Affidavit must be filled out in the Guidance Office after all of the other forms have been completed.


After The Paperwork…

   Students who transfer to Smoky Mountain High School from another school will not receive a schedule and may not start classes until the Guidance Office receives transcripts...showing grades, courses taken, and credits earned...from the most recent school attended.

     We want this to be as smooth a process as possible so that there is little or no delay in starting classes. Please let us know if you have any additional questions by calling the Guidance Office at 586-2177, ext. 2500. We look forward to seeing you!